Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Blog 3: Political Advertising through Comedy Shows

In chapter five of Uncivil Wars written by Tomas A. Hollihan, the many different types and effectiveness of political advertising is explained in depth. One point Hollihan makes throughout this chapter is that there is only so much political advertising a person can internalize, before a subconscious barrier forms rejecting further penetration. Another point he makes is that some already disinterested people become more and more disinterested the more advertising they see. A way to break through both of these challenges and reach these voters is through comedy shows. The Daily Show and even Saturday Night Live have a large effect on voters because these shows are promoting one candidate or another, through comical instances therefore persuading the audience without the audience’s knowledge. The most important part of the involvement of these comedy shows is that they are reaching the less-interested American citizens that don’t normally care about the current political situation, and convincing them to involve themselves politically.

Jon Stewart, host of The Daily Show, depicts Bush in an episode as “talking like he is talking to someone stupid. His matter comes off as odder; he wants to stress things more. He talks very general, and speaks like an 8-year-old who has to answer a question but has never read the book” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxsXHXIErHQ). As many people watch, they may think that this depiction of the president’s speech giving abilities stops at funny, but it doesn’t. From there, viewers go on to tell their friends about the excerpt from the night before, showing them clips on YouTube, and so on and so forth. Before you know it, there are millions of people who not only think Jon Stewart is hilarious, but that our president is ill-prepared and a poor speaker. The more criticisms people hear about their leader, the more they will start to believe it. I know when I watch Jon Stewart, I may disagree with his views on politicians but I still find the show hilarious. If I were to watch it every night, I know it would eventually affect some of my political stances.

Another instance that Jon Stewart is trying to persuade viewers’ thinking is when he brought Bill O’Reilly on his show to talk about why O’Reilly said, “A lot of people are fearful, uncertainty breeds fear” – a comment he had made on his show, the O’Reilly Factor, about why people are fearful of Obama as our potential future president. He first used a condescending tone with O’Reilly when he first came onto the show, asking him if he is comfortable and feels safe in the environment of his set, alluding to the fact that his statement of fear with the Obama administration was ridiculous. O’Reilly said to Jon that he is fearful because Obama has done nothing in senate and lead nothing. He also states that Jon Stewart gets paid to cheap shot people, which Stewart admits. Stewart then says that Americans say “we want the tax rate to go from 36 percent to 39 percent, what 3 percent is socialist?” in reply to the accusations O’Reilly has made towards the seemingly socialist views of Obama. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUVuXgy3CVY) If these statements are not political advertising, than nothing is a political advertisement. He is blatantly putting down a supporter of the GOP in order to support Barack Obama in any way necessary, and all the while, viewers see it as funny and believe his points because of the paternalistic demeaning attitude in which he takes on his opponent.

Although The Daily Show is rich with political advertising and is effective in reaching its’ audience, it is nothing compared to the advertising encoded into the scripting of Saturday Night Live. It is far more effective to act out the flaws of the candidates because then when audiences are actually watching the candidates, these faults are all they notice. One scene I found was the Bush daughters talking back and forth about their father. It is obviously a parody about their relationship and how they are twins, and they are asking each other questions about if they really think their father is the man that press and society has said he is. “I keep seeing signs saying he is the worst president ever, dumbest president ever, and biggest liar ever,” is a quote from one of the actresses playing one of his daughters (http://www.hulu.com/watch/42319/saturday-night-live-presidential-bash-obamamccain--montage).This scene is very funny and I am sure generated a buzz of laughter throughout audiences, but it also discredits the president. Many viewers would take from this that his own daughters probably think that he is a poor leader and think that his daughters are as seemingly unintelligent as Bush has been portrayed. This type of political advertising lowers the confidence the United States has in our president.

Saturday Night Live has been used negatively towards many candidates to promote their own interests, but there are definitely ways in which Saturday Night Live uses their wide viewership in a positive manner. For example when Mike Huckabee, former GOP ticket seeker in the 2008 primary election, went on the show, he was there to show his character and make light of the situation which he was currently in. It was mathematically impossible for him to win the GOP ticket at the time, and he had still not pulled out of the running. People everywhere were commenting on the ridiculousness of his actions and how much money he was wasting, and he was there to address it. Although he did joke around about himself, he used Saturday Night Live to make a strong point (http://www.hulu.com/watch/42319/saturday-night-live-presidential-bash-obamamccain--montage ). He was determined, he was not a quitter, and he didn’t take himself too seriously. Yes, when it comes to issues Mike Huckabee is a strong arm, but he wanted to American people to see his lighter side, because then maybe they would relate to him, understand and like his sense of humor, and look for him in the future elections. He used Saturday Night Live as a tactic for advertising himself for future elections.

One last example of political advertising through comedy shows is the Barack Obama skit about Halloween. Many people stated during the election that Obama wavered in his positions and that he was unclear about them as well. When a child asked him in a Saturday Night Live skit what he was going to be for Halloween, he said he was going to be dressing as himself because he didn’t want to be anyone else. This addresses Hollihan’s argument that the most effective campaigns link the messages of the advertisements (or the message of his skit in this show) to the news stories in the media. Since newscasters (mostly on Fox) were continually commenting on his wavering stances, he chose to address it this way (http://www.hulu.com/watch/42319/saturday-night-live-presidential-bash-obamamccain--montage).

Comedy shows are not considered, by most, a form of political advertising. They are either considered entertainment or a newscast, but this is where I beg to differ. If candidates can be guests on these comedy shows and display their moral fiber and stances for the audience, or if a host is going to promote one political figure or put down another through ridicule, I believe it to be considered political advertising. It is also extremely effective advertising because it is reaching those that are not normally involved in politics and helping them make political decisions, and it breaks through the barrier Hollihan believes political advertising forms throughout an election.

7 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your blog on comedy shows as a form of political advertising. Most of all I enjoyed the connection you made between comedy shows and political advertisement. Not many people realize how much popular culture can affect their daily choices. I think that there are many television shows support or promote one candidate over another, even if that support isn’t overt. And I also agree with you that this subtle support can influence voters. I don’t think that these shows have the ability to change someone’s mind though. I think the power of these shows actually lies in their ability to change what people think about.

    A hardcore Democrat will not change his/her mind because of something talked about on the O’Reilly Show. Neither will a hardcore Republican who watches the Daily Show. The problem with these shows is that they influence what we consider important in current politics. You touched on this a bit in your blog, but I think it is the most important influence that comedy shows have on politics. Comedy shows perpetuate the discussion of particular issues because they are funny and keep viewers watching. The problem is that, when shows continue to talk about only one or two sensational issues, the public begins to think/agree that these are the most important issues in a campaign. This ultimately effects what issues the general public talk about most. While this doesn’t overtly change people’s minds about politics or politicians, it does affect what they consider important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your blog. I found it full of very useful and interesting information. But I'm afraid I have to respectfully diagree with part of it. when you said "I know when I watch Jon Stewart, I may disagree with his views on politicians but I still find the show hilarious. If I were to watch it every night, I know it would eventually affect some of my political stances". I believe that if Jon Stewart were to bash on Bush, I believe that the viewpoint of a Democrat might shift slightly to be a little more anti-bush, but I think that a Republican would either just change the chanel or discredit Jon as a reliable source, knowing that his show is full of his own political bias.
    Overall though I found your blog very interesting and full of great information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nikki, this blog was very detailed and I thought that you used great examples to back up your main points. I also agree with you that these popular comedy shows are involving the less-interested citizens with politics. Having these various shows, which bring comedy and politics together, is something that is raising interest in politics everyday. Even candidates know that in this day and age, that there is no chance of being elected if they do not participate in these kinds of shows, as you have shown in the Saturday Night Live clips. However, I would like to share my opinion on advertising in these shows. I believe that on any show dealing with the realm of politics, there will be shows supporting or favoring mainly one party. Many stations like Fox News and CNN will have people supporting and degrading both sides of politicians. The same happens with these comedy programs but it is easier to connect with and gain interest to politics, which has been shown in statistics. Mainstream political shows have not gained much attention in the past and the Colbert Report and the Daily Show -even though only touching few subjects- are helping to gain interest. Obviously, It is not the best source of politics and I agree with you that it could have these viewers start to look up more crucial political news and help make vital political decisions in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that comedy is a great way to advertise. Shows that speak to our humor can show us the lighter sides of politicians or show us their flaws in an extreme way. Either way, there is a message behind the comedy. Shows like The Daily Show and SNL do well though to let both sides of an issue come through in a broadcast. (SNL moreso). When a candidate is made fun of, they are given the opportunity, more often that not, to retort the poke and sometimes will appear on a show themselves. This makes them seem more human, as they can take criticism and roll with it. ( A necessary trait in any elected official). I always enjoy when candidates make appearances on SNL, especially after they have been made the butt of a joke. Jon Stewart doesn't allow for this as much as SNL, but he wouldn't have time for a show anymore if everyone he made fun of got airtime on his show. They would probably just end up looking foolish next to Stewart as he is much more intelligent than any politician in existence. (except Ron Paul).

    Anyways, I like the blog. And I hope that people will continue to watch these comedy shows to get advertising. But, I hope they will actually research some policies and actual political issues before voting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Daily show is one of the primary news sources for quite a large amount of Americans. This influence is mostly subliminal for a large percent of these entertainment seeking viewers. The fans and regular viewers of The Daily Show are primarily watching the show for its humor and comedic aspect. The relay of the political messages is in the delivery. You seem to have a very critical view of this program. The reasons that it is often mistaken for a politically inclined source of information, is in the format. A show with a good looking Jon Stewart in a suit in a studio decorated with red, white, and blue that is with an audience can be misleading. The show, however, I do not think suggests any form of stern implications other than structure. The biggest aspect that proves this is the constant laugh track from the studio audience. It gives the show a whole sitcom like feel, and there is a definite absence of sincerity throughout. Whatever Jon Stewart says is usually offensive and references political figures, but he is just a comedian. It is like trying to press charges against a stand-up comedy act for slander, it is just putting on a show. The problem comes when the audience takes Jons words; one, as fact; and two, as an effort to offend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The author presents a most interesting analysis of the role of comedy shows in political advertising and communication. I agree that political agendas can be furthered or hindered by messages given by comedy shows. I also agree that these messages do affect the viewer in obvious and subliminal ways. Comedy has often been used to communicate politics. The political cartoon has been around since the advent of newspapers, and ever since political cartoons have been a way to communicate often complicated issues in a lighthearted, tongue-in-cheek kind of way. As media developed, naturally politically comedy moved to TV. By using comedy to address and explore the political issues, it often makes the issues more accessible and less intimidating to the average viewer. Additionally, making fun of a political figure’s words or flaws often makes them seem more relatable to the average person. An important point overlooked by the author is that a majority of the public, especially the younger generation, gets their only news, including political information, from TV shows. Some people may only know what is going on in world through information given during these shows. Thus, it is even more important to consider the impact of humor on the perception and interpretation of political messages given during these shows. Humor makes difficult or unpleasant experiences and messages more digestible. Further exploration of the impact of humor and comedy shows on political communication must also include The Colbert Report as it consistently straddles the line between political parties and often leaves the viewer really having to think about which side of the issue Stephen is on as well as which side the view him or herself is on.
    Kasim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nikki-I really liked this blog because I choose to do the same blog and you constructed this blog in a different perspective that I would of liked to look at to get some ideas on how political communication use comedy. I believe that comedy shows use political agendas as a way of communicating with America. Especially the Colbert Report, The Daily show, and Saturday Night Live. I didn't know much about politics before I took this class and I also never watched any political comedy shows. Political communication forced me to watch those shows and analyze how and what they discuss during the show and what political stance they express their view on. Furthermore, you included sources and artifacts that enhanced your paper because they expressed how comedy is used today within the shows. "The most important part of the involvement of these comedy shows is that they are reaching the less-interested American citizens that don’t normally care about the current political situation, and convincing them to involve themselves politically," you exemplified my point that I didn't go the extra length to involve myself in politics, and watching these shows enforce you to include yourself politically and socially.

    ReplyDelete